16 July 2012

The village fair

I haven't exhibited at many country fairs this year and just as well because what a wash out this Summer has been! However,on Saturday it was The Claygate flower show.This was my very first fair four years ago and I feel a strong sense of fondness and attachment to it. Besides it's virtually on the doorstep and I have lots of local customers popping by to see me and friends stopping for a chat, cups of tea and cake in hand. It's a sociable, family friendly day (and one where my OH will quite happily load up the car and put up my gazebo for me)!
The fair is steeped in tradition and is far more than a flower show. The WI have a cake stall, the scouts and guides run tombolas, the marquees are full of homegrown fruit and vegetables with gardening stalwarts vying for first prize year after year. All age groups can enter any number of competitions from 'best garden in a pot' to 'funniest family photo'. There's a dog show, a vintage car raleigh, a fun fair, morris dancing, marching bands and lots of lovely stalls like mine. There's a fancy dress parade, an animal petting area, BBQ's and teas a plenty. There really is something for everyone. 
Quintessentially English and charming, the Claygate Flower show attracts a huge crowd whatever the weather, but as I unloaded white cotton nighties from the back of the car (in the rain and mud) didn't know whether to admire my stoicism or question my eccentricity! 


My customers, I'm glad to say are equally stoic and despite two downpours and trudging about in slippery mud, brolly in hand, it was a great day. Of course we'll be back the same time next July! 

Janne x



No comments:

Post a Comment