24 July 2012

Puppy Love

With discussions mounting in the house over what to buy our 'puppy' for his first birthday this week, I couldn't resist a little blog post about him. Actually, 'Brigg' is not a puppy anymore, but a big bounding black labrador with lolling tongue, wagging tail, hair that sheds everywhere and a habit of lying in the middle of the kitchen floor causing a major trip hazard at every turn. He's had the dishwasher door slammed shut on his nose more times than I want to admit to!

I have three children of school age and most days have the house to myself. One year ago my day was crammed full of running my business and household chores. It was a home that was calm and quiet from 9am till 3pm. I congratulated myself on how I  (and  home) had come through the early years of childhood with sanity and furniture more or less intact. I wondered what lay ahead for the teenage years. 

And then this image appeared in my inbox one day last September with the words: "here is your new puppy". (My OH had agreed to take one of his friends puppies six months previously, but we had not until now managed to have a 'proper' discussion on the subject).
No discussion needed! Heart over ruled head and last October Brigg bounced into our lives.

Pots of bulbs have been shredded, shoes have been destroyed (I'm down to one pair of mismatched flip flops), cuddly toys have missing limbs, two birthday cakes have been inhaled, the recycling bin is his personal toy box. He knows the difference between a dishwasher being loaded and unloaded and he can hear ham being unwrapped or the snap of the flora lid at a hundred paces. He's caused more mayhem, mishaps and upsets then anyone else in the family this year, but would we be without him? Absolutely not!! With children at different schools and with varied ages, activities and interests, he is the one thing that is constant throughout. The common thread. Whether it be family walks, heart to heart discussions on school friendships,  camp building in the woods, hashing out GCSE choices on the rec, cricket in the park, he is there! 

He wolfs down his food,he drips water everywhere, he has no regard for doormats and leaves a trail of mess and destruction. Just like my children really! Okay, I don't have a spotless house any more, but I have gained a loyal, loving and faithful pal who makes me laugh and keeps me busier than ever!


And just incase you're wondering about his birthday present......he's got a new squeaky toy pheasant to chew on!(and yes, it will be gift wrapped) x


No comments:

Post a Comment